Thorware.org

Home of Light's End

Post subject: HELP!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:00 am 

Okay. In the trial game I got to the point where I am captured by the bandits. There is no foreseeable way out of my cell. Is this the end of the demo or is there something that I am missing?

Also, how long is this game? I know that it is only 200 points, but I don't want to waste 200 points on a game that is only a couple of hours long.

Also, not to nitpick or anything, but don't the characters seem just a bit small. I am a massive RPG nerd & I have never seen characters this small up until this point. The rest of the game (at least what I have played of it) looks beautiful, but those tiny characters just seem like an odd choice.

Post subject: Re: HELP!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:18 am 

I figured the cell thing out, but that still leaves the question of how long this game is

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:02 pm 

Hi Robert, thanks for trying out the game!

There's a lot more to it. The story starts picking up after you leave the mining camp. People that read fast tend to complete the game in about 3 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:06 pm 

Thor wrote:
Hi Robert, thanks for trying out the game!

There's a lot more to it. The story starts picking up after you leave the mining camp. People that read fast tend to complete the game in about 3 hours.

That you for the info. Well... for just $2.50 that does seem about right.

Any plans for a sequel, because I was a fan of the control system & I will probably end up downloading the full game before the day is overwith.

I do not intent to offend, but if you do release a sequel, would it be possible to increase the size of the characters?

Also, would it be possible to make it an arcade game. I would not think twice about paying 800 points for a solid 8-10 hour RPG with achievements (& I'm sure that most RPG starved 360 gamers would agree).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:00 pm 

could you please justify why the size of the characters is a personal problem of yours? i dont understand, why should the characters in this RPG be like every other RPG's characters? I'm all for criticism but one needs to also provide some reasoning so i can attempt to see it form your perspective?

also, it isn't an official microsft Arcade game because it is an indie game - i am assuming that like most people, you just dont get the whole point of the 'community' game blade.

and personally, in my opinion this game doesn't need achievements; no game does - the whole achievment system is so tiresome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:24 pm 

I'm very surprised to hear the character size criticism. It seems very much in-line with the size of Final Fantasy sprites back in the day; in fact, I find that to be a major part of the game's appeal.

I find it more surprising that you wouldn't want to spend $2.50 for a game that is only "a couple hours long". If the game can actually be completed in 3 hours (I think Thor is undercutting it quite a bit there) then that's still less than a dollar an hour, which is some pretty cheap entertainment.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:10 am 

Foma Fomich wrote:
could you please justify why the size of the characters is a personal problem of yours? i dont understand, why should the characters in this RPG be like every other RPG's characters? I'm all for criticism but one needs to also provide some reasoning so i can attempt to see it form your perspective?

also, it isn't an official microsft Arcade game because it is an indie game - i am assuming that like most people, you just dont get the whole point of the 'community' game blade.

and personally, in my opinion this game doesn't need achievements; no game does - the whole achievment system is so tiresome.

The characters are literally smaller than a dime. As I said, I think the towns are beautiful, but when you can barely make out the characters it becomes a problem for me.

I get the point of community games, but you are missing the point of my post. Community games are not allowed achievements & I have yet to see a community game that was worth the purchase. This game may be, so in my opinion adding a bit more story to a sequel & adding achievements would make it more popular & rewarding.

As for the achievement system... I think it adds more to the game actually. Well placed achievements give more insentive to view more of the game & do things that you normally wouldn't bother doing (such as side quests... you would be surprised at the amount of people who don't bother with them). Plus it is rather rewarding for most gamers (I say most, because apparently there are people who don't like them... you are the first that I have encountered though) to get acknowledged for completing a rather hard task in a game. Gamerscore adds alot of replayablity to games that normally wouldn't have any replay value.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:24 am 

Poompop wrote:
I'm very surprised to hear the character size criticism. It seems very much in-line with the size of Final Fantasy sprites back in the day; in fact, I find that to be a major part of the game's appeal.

I find it more surprising that you wouldn't want to spend $2.50 for a game that is only "a couple hours long". If the game can actually be completed in 3 hours (I think Thor is undercutting it quite a bit there) then that's still less than a dollar an hour, which is some pretty cheap entertainment.

I still play old school RPGs quite often. On emulators & on my SNES. Compare screenshots & you will see that Old school characters are significantly larger/.

I am currently without a job so I need to justify my purchases. I only have 1551 points & I am waiting on a few other games (such as Wallace & Gromit: Last Resort). I see no reason to waste money on something that I will get little enjoyment out of when I can just save my money to get something that I know I will enjoy. Did anybody play Yaris? Well it was free & it wasn't worth the price. So by your logic, the 10 minutes I played it would make it worth the download... So I really find that arguement lacking.

Keep in mind, I am not comparing this game to Yaris... I am just using it as an example. I actually enjoyed the demo & as I said previously will probably will enjoy the game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:31 am 

download some abandon ware if your struggling for money- i think youl be surprised at what classics you can get.

abondonia is a good website for it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:28 am 

Foma Fomich wrote:
download some abandon ware if your struggling for money- i think youl be surprised at what classics you can get.

abondonia is a good website for it.

Thank you for the info... any game suggestions?