Thorware.org

Home of Light's End

Post subject: Light's End reviewed at IGN.com!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:34 am 

Hi guys,

Thought I'd share that IGN.com just reviewed the game in their regular "Communal Shower" feature. Looks like we landed in the "hot pies" section, meaning they recommend the game! Sweet!

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/996/996293p1.html

Post subject: Re: Light's End reviewed at IGN.com!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:26 pm 

Awesome that we got a positive review for the game. Sort of bad for me though, ouch. Really don't know what else to say, though I am happy that we're getting more PR thanks to IGN.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:45 pm 

We're being put up against teams with multiple professional artists. Don't take the art criticisms too personally, we had a lot of ground to cover and not much time to do it. Your work is great for what we accomplished considering that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:44 am 

Exactly. Art certainly is subjective, bu so are reviews. If anything, this message just gave me more reason to keep working on improving it. WHenever we get around to doing another project, remembering this review will definately push me to do better. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:12 pm 

I liked the art style. I have to admit that at first glance, I thought it looked a bit amateurish; but after playing the game for five minutes, I was digging it. It took me back to the 16-bit era and set a good tone for the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:47 am 

I am very glad that they liked it overall, but I think that's just another example of how people have no idea what they are paying for. Gravity Lord did all the art for the entire game in, what, 5 months? That's insane. I'm amazed that he was able to finish it all with the quality that is present, because that is truly a daunting task.

They bitch, but would they have been willing to pay 400 MSP if a second artist had been added to the project, enabling (presumably) double the quality?

I could go on, but suffice to say it's unwarranted criticism and you should both be patting yourselves on the back.