Thorware.org

Home of Light's End

Post subject: User review on Gamefaqs
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:06 pm 

Someone posted an interesting user review on GameFaqs, you can read it here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox360 ... 35008.html

Post subject: Re: User review on Gamefaqs
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:38 pm 

I don't think I can critique this review because it is written by Joe Everyman. What I can do is note some interesting things.

Primarily, I find it interesting that he says there isn't much gameplay. In fact, I find that fascinating! I assume that this player has come to think of gameplay as "action". Jumping, punching, shooting, etc, would all fall under the umbrella of gameplay; walking and talking don't.

What an interesting conundrum! Would people, for example, have considered Shenmue's gameplay weak if it didn't have the occasional fight? I don't know, but it's interesting to think about.

How have players been conditioned to think of games, and gameplay, in this manner? Is it just because they are over-exposed to high-action games filled with swordplay, blazing guns, and monsters in need of slaying?

Or is it the fact that this game doesn't really fit in an existing mold? It's not a racing game, not a fighter, nor is it really an RPG. You could call it an adventure game, though it doesn't really fall in line with your average one of those either (and, worth noting, these games aren't very popular nowadays). It's a talking game, a game that emphasizes story over everything else...but that's not one of the established genres, so people might not know what to think of it! What could they possibly compare it to?

I can't say I know, but I'm glad my mind can be stirred by this. And whatever the reason is that this player didn't think that Light's End had gameplay is no doubt one of the reasons I love Light's End so much; because whether the creator meant to or not, Light's End rebels against convention. It isn't a game like anything you've played before; it isn't bound by expectations. It's exactly what it wants to be: the interactive vision of one man, brought to life.

It's game design in its most pure, unadulterated form, and for that I salute it.