Thorware.org

Home of Light's End

Post subject: I really enjoyed the game!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:37 pm 

Superb job Ryan and Tyrel! It's not too often that I play through a quality game with this level of immersion. For 2.50$, you can be damn sure that I got my money's worth. It had a really good ending, but it was sad to see it end as well. I know ya'll've spent a considerable amount of time on it, and would like to say it was a treat from beginning to end.

The innovative storytelling structure and the soundtrack was excellent!

Let me know about any future projects! I'll be sure to check it out! I'll also try to spread the word of this game as well! :D

Post subject: Re: I really enjoyed the game!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:36 am 

Best Game I Ever Played :mrgreen: We Need More Games Like This. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:37 pm 

I second this! I just sat down and downloaded a dozen and a half demos from XBox Live Arcade, and only one grabbed me enough to inspire me to buy it then and there. Know that you guys won out against Phantasy Star II! :-P

The music was wonderful, effectively maintaining the mood without drawing attention to itself. The art was great - it was low-key without being cheap, and detailed without being too busy or intricate. The gameplay is some of the best I've ever seen in an RPG...which is to say it didn't try to pad its length with boring and misplaced combat, but gracefully stayed out of the way of the story without making me feel like I'm watching a movie. The story was touching and insightful, of a quality that can rarely be maintained in a longer game, and in three hours managed to make me feel very personally attached to a dozen characters.

I'm at this very moment trying to convince all of my friends with 360s to buy this. :-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:12 pm 

Thanks for all your generous comments! I'm glad there's people out there who think the same way I do. I made this game for you guys =D

I agree that a lot of games have boring and repetitive combat that get in the way of the interesting story. That frustration was one of the main inspirations for the game.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:10 am 

I finished Light's End a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to say that I really love this game.

It was a nice take on the traditional jRPGs that I wasted many an hour at university in my dorm room playing on Genesis, SNES and Saturn, just without the tedium of grinding or boredom of menu driven battles.

Of course back in the day, I used to live for grinding and menu driven battles, but in my old age it would seem, I cannot stand either any longer. And this is one of the reasons that Light's End works so well. You guys took the best parts of the classic jRPG, story and puzzle solving, and made the central game play mechanic based solely around that. As a result, the player spends more time getting story, which is why we all play RPGs in the first place, and less time fiddling around with menus trying to get to the next story driven cinema sequence.

Having finally bored of jRPGs shortly after the death of Dreamcast back in 2002, and moved on to the more action oriented immediacy of wRPGs like Fallout, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, and Fable in large part, because of their immediacy, I was fairly impressed to find anything remotely like a traditional jRPG that I actually liked - and this gen, I have tried playing every major jRPG released (Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean, The Last Remnanat, Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.), and still could not get into any of them - and I really wanted to get back into jRPGs.

Light's End probably has the single best innovation to the format in over 20 years, yet has enough of the feel of classic jRPGs from the Golden Age of the genre, to give this old man nostalgia for his youth. It is a winning combination, and the only thing that I can hope for, is that you guys keep doing it - just bigger, better and more bad ass next time (if it's in the budget).

I seriously hope somewhere in your schedule, there is a Light's End sequel or spiritual sequel in the works. In the meantime, I will savor the gem you have already created, and continue to convince as many of my friends as possible to give Light's End a chance. I am not the only old fogey out here who thinks that modern jRPGs grew stale a long time ago. I hear it all the time. So long as titles like Light's End keep popping, even if it is only in indie game circles, there is hope that the Japanese-styled RPG can evolve and become something modern, while retaining the sensibilities that made them enjoyable in the first place.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for Light's End, and the best of luck on your next project.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:01 pm 

Just wanted to add my voice as one that greatly enjoyed Light's End. For $2.50, I think it's an extraordinary deal, and the story managed to draw me in with some surprising depth with a rather understated style of gameplay. It's essentially a people puzzle, but the inability to get lost and the simple narrative connections made it a relaxing break in between challenge rooms of Batman: Arkham Asylum.

You are only the second Indie Game I've purchased through XBL, the first being a quasi-puzzle-platformer called Machiavelli's Ascent. The only issue that occurs to me is that there's essentially no replay value (a story is a story is a story), but that issue is the same in nearly any kind of RPG, yours included.

Thanks for making such an enjoyable experience, and I look forward to whatever you drop next in XBL Indie Games.

And enjoy my $2.50, or whatever percentage Microsoft lets you have of it!