Thorware.org

Home of Light's End

Post subject: Whatever happened to Poompop?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:06 pm 

I enjoyed the game, but my biggest disappointment is that Poompop didn't turn out to be an reincarnation of Kefka or The Joker and true big bad of the game. All the best games have Evil Clowns....

Joking aside, no pun intended but recognised potential all the same, what does happen to the crazy guy? I don't remember seeing him towards the end, and if he was in the epilogue, I missed it.

What exactly is the deal with him? Does he have a purpose, or is he just there for kicks?

Does he have some strange connection with the divine that could be revealled in a future game?

And will/does he ever get to Oasis?

And if so, will it be the Right Oasis, or will be somehow find himself bumping into the one from Sluggy Freelance?

Post subject: Re: Whatever happened to Poompop?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:37 pm 

Haha, that would be hilarious, wouldn't it? "Hello, Hi-low, and Ha-lo! Who are you, though?" "Oasis." "Then I'm there! I'm at Oasis!"

And then he accidentally says "Torg" and she kills him. Only to see him respawn because he's the crap! O.O

I think he was just supposed to be an amusing joke in the game, though. Not that I'm answering for Thor of course. :-)

Post subject: Re: Whatever happened to Poompop?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:08 pm 

Poompop is just a fun comic relief character that provides a break after all the heavy material in the opening mining camp. He's also the reason for Crystal and Daniel arriving at Exile before the Remnant, even though the Remnant left Oasis first. I also threw him into Sol just for fun. People seem to like him!

I thought about putting him in the ending, maybe if you waited long enough at the ending screen. It was going to show Oasis and he would arrive and say something like "Finally, I made it to Oasis! Now, what did I want here, again? ...Oh well!" and then he would leave. So there's the official word of what happens to him. ;) I decided I'd rather not have a joke for an ending so I left him out. I like it leaving the player thinking about the new lives that the main characters have found.

I can see why you think Poompop might be an evil kefka/joker genius! That's the vibe I was going for with Zethros, where at first you think he's just crazy.