Thorware.org

Home of Light's End

Post subject: Tools
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:22 pm 

I'm curious to know about the tools that you used to bring Light's End to life. Is the game very "hard-coded", or did you craft level editors, conversation editors, etc to make creating content easy? The fans want to know!

Post subject: Re: Tools
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:16 pm 

Well, we didn't have a full blown editor to place objects and characters, what we had were XML files that described characters positions and whatnot. So I would go into an image editor and open the map, find the pixel coordinates where I wanted to place a character, trigger, or whatever, then go into the XML file and type it in. Clunky, but effective. Luckily all the game content was data driven using XML, text, and other files and not hard-coded in C#, which made things a little easier.

I also made a command-line tool for our collision and pathfinding. It converts a black and white bitmap image that represents collision with red dots representing pathfinding nodes to a more compact format that we use in the game. It also builds the waypoint connections by doing line of sight checks against the collision.

I've definitely wished I had a more graphically oriented tool, but it just wasn't worth the effort to make such a nice tool for this one project.