Thorware.org

Home of Light's End

Post subject: Late to the party, but...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:01 pm 

I realize this game has been available for about 8 months, but I just had to post. I actually downloaded the trial version of Light's End not long after it first came out, but just the other day finally got around to playing it. I had a few MS points sitting on my account, and I liked it enough to spring for the full version. Should finish it tonight.

I really like the story and characters, and switching control between them is a very interesting and different gameplay mechanic. I spent quite a bit of time talking to everyone as everyone else, just to see the different responses I got. (Actually ended up solving a few puzzles before I realized I had to.) Especially impressed with the pathfinding that sends the characters back to where they're supposed to be standing. The whole thing feels like an 8-bit or 16-bit JRPG, but without all the tedious grinding. The character portraits in the dialogue window are great, and I liked seeing their expressions change based on the conversation. Also got a kick out of getting in and out of beds -- really clever technique to use with the simple art style.

Hoping for a follow-up. Have you thought of making any merchandise available to promote your game? T-shirts, stickers, etc? I'd buy 'em.

Post subject: Re: Late to the party, but...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:13 pm 

Thanks for playing our game, morrodox! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I see you have the same completionist sickness that I do, being sure to explore all the interactions! A 16-bit JRPG without the grinding... yep, pretty much exactly what we were going for.

I'm happy you appreciated things like the character return pathfinding and the layered beds. Those little touches take time to implement and I'm glad you noticed it. =)

We don't have any merchandise, but if you wanted to print your own using some of our artwork, I wouldn't mind at all! They are Gravity Lord's images so you'd want to make sure he's ok with it.

We don't have plans for a follow-up right now. I'm working at Valve and they don't permit side projects. But Gravity Lord has been working on a design for a spiritual sequel so you never know what might happen.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:07 am 

Thanks for the reply. Glad someone is still checking this forum.

May I ask, did you land the job at Valve as a result of this game, or did you go through the standard job-application channels?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:49 am 

I got the job at Valve due to a combination of several reasons. To get a foot in the door, I knew someone who already worked at Valve and was well-respected there. We had worked on a game project together in college and he recommended me. From that point, I went through the standard interview process. Their decision to hire me was based on many things, but they did tell me that were it not for Light's End, which showcased my ability to self-motivate and commit to a project from start to finish with a customer-oriented attitude, I would not have been offered a job.

So to answer your question, Light's End is not the main reason I got the job, but it was an important part of my portfolio.